Notice: I am temporarily suspending work on any new custom feed designs while I finish up the Standard Replacement Feeds. Custom work should resume early in 2018.
A custom feed order consists of three steps.
- Contact me regarding what type of custom feed you need. When I’m ready to start, I’ll send you a PayPal invoice for $25 measurement fee. This fee pays for measuring the nib to verify that it will fit into your desired pen, and also the return postage of the nib, feed and pen back to you. After paying the fee, send me the nib, feed, and pen into which you want the nib and feed installed.
- I’ll make detailed measurements of the nib (and if available, the original feed) and create a program to manufacture the feed. After manufacture on CNC machines, I’ll assemble the feed and nib, install it into your pen and test. If it meets my standards of writing performance, I’ll send you a PayPal invoice for the design fee ($25 to $150) and the cost of the feed ($25 to $85).
- Upon payment, I’ll ship you pen back to you with the nib and feed installed.
To order a custom feed, I need the nib to be fitted, the pen in which the custom feed is to be fit, and if possible, an existing feed to measure, shipped to me. An up front measurement fee of $25 is required, which you can pay via a PayPal invoice. The measurement fee includes shipment back to you of the custom feed with your pen. Shipment outside the USA is extra, as is insurance, in the case the pen is valued at more than $50.
If you don’t have an existing feed for the nib, that’s fine, but the design fee will be higher. Typically, I don’t need a feed for vintage nibs, like Waterman, Conklin, Wahl Eversharp, etc., and no extra fee is charged in this case.
If you are working with a custom pen maker, and want a friction fit feed for your nib, that pen maker can provide me with the required hole size desired for a friction fit, or can specify a particular Pelikan, JoWo, or Bock style. I have worked closely with Newton Pens and Scriptorium Pens in the past for full custom feeds and semi-custom JoWo and Bock designs.
I will examine the nib at 90x magnification to look for cracks and other damage or wear. During measurement of the nib, if I find the nib can’t be made to fit due to size or previous damage, wear, fractures, or other problems, then I will return the nib and pen to you. I do not adjust the nib, smooth it, or perform other nib modifications. If you need nib modifications services, I can suggest nibmeisters for this purpose.
If you are fitting the nib to one of these pens below, there is no need to provide the pen (but please do provide an existing feed that fits the nib, if possible, to lower the design fee):
- Pelikan M2xx/M4xx/M6xx/M7xx/M8xx/M1xxx
- Pelikan M101N / M120
- Pelikan 100 / 100N / 400 / 400N / 400NN / 120 / 140
- JoWo #6
- Bock #6 (Bexley)
- Esterbrook J
I can also fit to Montblanc 149 and 146; however, I will need the pen, as there are numerous variants in the 60+ years these pens have been made. I will install the nib assembly into your pen with an appropriate sealant.
If the nib can’t be fit to the pen you provided, the nib and pen will be shipped back to you, and there are no further charges, as I could not fit it to the pen. I will consult with you before returning the nib and pen. If the nib can be fit to your pen, then a design fee is charged to create the custom feed, and collar or housing, as needed. The design fee depends on the nib and pen, is lower for vintage nibs, and is higher for modern nibs. Music nibs require a higher fee. You will know the design fee at this point, and you have the option to decline, and I’ll ship your nib and pen back to you.
In some cases, I may see that the design you desire might be a good standard product for me, in which case, I’ll waive the measurement and design fees, and you’ll pay only for the feed itself plus shipping. I will need your nib and pen, to do the custom design work, unless I already have one.
A note on vintage nibs. Generally, I’ll need a measurement and design fee for each nib. There is no guarantee that, for example, two Waterman #2 nibs will measure identically, and it is almost certain that a Waterman #2 nib and a Conklin #2 nib will be different. If I do find that you’ve provided two identical nibs, then I’ll refund the second measurement fee and not charge the second design fee.
Design fees are as follows:
- Vintage nib fit to vintage pen or section, or to a specific hole size: $25.00
- Vintage nib fit to modern pen: $50.00
- Vintage music nib fit to vintage pen or section, or to a specific hole size, or to a modern pen: $75.00
- Modern nib fit to a specific pen or housing type (e.g. JoWo #6), with existing feed: $75.00
- Modern nib fit to a specific pen or housing type (e.g. JoWo #6), without existing feed: $150.00
Custom feed pricing, with optional collar or housing:
- Feed, black ebonite, <= 6mm in diameter: $25.00
- Feed, black ebonite, 6-8mm in diameter: $30.00
- Feed, black ebonite, > 8 mm in diameter: $35.00
- Collar (Pelikan style), black ebonite: $5.00
- Housing (JoWo / Bock styles), black ebonite: $10.00
- Feed, red ebonite, <= 6mm in diameter: $45.00
- Feed, red ebonite, 6-8mm in diameter: $50.00
- Feed, red ebonite, > 8 mm in diameter: $55.00
- Collar (Pelikan style), red ebonite: $15.00
- Housing (JoWo / Bock styles), red ebonite: $30.00
- Feed, clear cast acrylic, <= 6mm in diameter: $30.00
- Feed, clear cast acrylic, 6-8mm in diameter: $35.00
- Feed, clear cast acrylic, > 8 mm in diameter: $40.00
- Collar (Pelikan style), clear cast acrylic: $10.00
- Housing (JoWo / Bock styles), clear cast acrylic: $20.00
- Shipment outside USA: At cost, USPS or UPS
- Insurance: $0.99 / $100 domestic; $1.25 / $100 international
- Sales tax: 8.25% for Texas residents only
- Expedite fee, 1 week turnaround (skipping the line): $100.00 — note: not currently accepting expedite fees
Pricing examples are below. In all cases, you’ll pay the $25.00 measurement fee up front, and the remaining fees at shipment of the fitted nib and feed back to you.
- Vintage feed fit to a vintage pen, black ebonite: Measurement fee $25.00 + Design fee $25.00 + Cost of feed $25.00 = $75.00
- Vintage feed fit to Pelikan M400 pen, black ebonite: Measurement fee $25.00 + Design fee $50.00 + Cost of feed $25.00 + Cost of collar $5.00 = $105.00
- Modern nib (with existing feed) fit to JoWo #6 housing, black ebonite: Measurement fee $25.00 + Design fee $75.00 + Cost of feed $25.00 + Cost of housing $10.00 = $105.00
- Modern nib (without existing feed) fit to Pelikan M1000, red ebonite: Measurement fee $25.00 + Design fee $150.00 + Cost of feed $55.00 + Cost of collar $15.00 = $245.00
- Vintage music nib fit to Pelikan M800, black ebonite: Measurement fee $25.00 + Design fee $75.00 + Cost of feed $30.00 + Cost of collar $5.00 = $135.00
A note on materials. I use black and red Nikko ebonite from Japan, and clear cast acrylic sourced locally in Texas. Ebonite makes the best feeds by far of all materials, but clear acrylic is quite good. If you want the best possible performance, stick with ebonite. You can optionally provide your own ebonite or acrylic for your feeds, but please be aware I may have to source a collet to hold your material, charge is $245, if I don’t have that size already, and add two weeks for delivery of the collet. Check with me first so there is no surprise charge. I will need a minimum of 12” of material in the form of round bar. If I use your material, then the feed/housing/collar pricing is the same as black ebonite.